Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Giddy

I should blog more often about what the Dept. of Social Services is not doing.

A representative called today and my home visit is scheduled! I'm excited and nervous. Each time I pass a hurdle in this process, I celebrate the occasion. 

My rep was candid: The home visit will take 3 hours. She'll inspect my home and interview me about my childhood and upbringing. She also told me that this stage of the process will take 2-3 months. She'll interview me, and then her supervisor will raise more questions about my background. And then her supervisor's supervisor will review my case. And then more folks will review it.

It takes a village to vet me.
I appreciate the department's thoroughness. I just hope they are this deliberate and thoughtful when placing me with a child.

3 comments:

  1. God, this would make me so nervous, I'm sure I'd screw up and say something really inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;-) I'm more nervous about my condo passing inspection than I am about them approving me. What's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Good point. Who knew there were so many hidden dangers lurking in your home? Do the risks change depending on the age of the child? I mean, presumably the same safety concerns don't apply to a teenager as say, a one year old, right?

    ReplyDelete