Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Fire Safety Inspection

 The above video isn't really how it went down. I just like the levity.


The inspection was scheduled for 8:30 this morning. But by 8:50, the inspector hadn't arrived nor had he called. When I called the fire station, he had a convoluted story about how he was acting chief today, there were unforseen delays, yadda yadda yadda. Ummm, would have helped if he'd called and told me that he was running late. It was a good thing that I told my job that I might be late.

Anyway, the inspection lasted approximately 20 minutes. The inspector basically checked to make sure that I had certain items in the home: smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detector and fire extinguisher. The inspector didn't actually check whether any of these items worked. I got "bonus" points for having a sprinkler system. The inspection was more of a learning lesson for me because the inspector showed me how to turn off my sprinkler system (in case it's accidentally set and water pours into my home). And I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that in the nearly 6 years that I've been in my condo, I never knew that my windows open into the home for easy cleaning!

My windows are large enough for a fire fighter to enter the home, wearing equipment, and they're large enough for us to escape easily. And that's that. I passed with flying colors!


"What's next?" you may wonder. More waiting. Waiting for the social worker to interview my personal references. Waiting for the social worker to ask more probing questions about my life. And waiting. 


I think I have the patience of Job.

No comments:

Post a Comment