Monday, November 15, 2010

Jumping Through Hoops

The amount of requirements, which I need to pass in order to become a licensed foster parent, borders the ridiculous.

To date:

  • I’ve completed a 10 page application packet, complete with documentation of my mortgage, salary, medical history, medical history for Maxwell (my dog), and savings and investments.
  • I’ve been fingerprinted and subjected to 2 criminal background investigations (FBI and state). My back-up caregiver was also subjected to the background investigations.
  • I’ve attended 7 of the 9 mandatory classes (thank goodness this process is nearly finished). I’ve had homework from each class, which includes more documentation into my family background and my character.
  • I have to schedule a home-fire safety inspection from the fire department.
  • I have to tie or clip up the dangling cords from my window blinds. Just recently we were told to provide a driver’s history report. I don’t even know what this entails, but I need to request it from the local MVA office.
  • There’s still a home interview and the interviews with 3 friends who can attest to my character. And I still need to turn in the 3 page report that documents my sexual history.

If adults were required to do only half of these actions, I believe we’d have fewer broken children because fewer adults would become parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment